Sample Job Description: Data Architect
Enterprise architecture serves a critical role in the understanding, documentation, maintenance, control, and planning. The data architect's role is to serve as a subject matter expert and perform tasks that contribute to the organization's mission and vision. Daily activities include assisting the lead data architect in revising enterprise conceptual, logical, and physical data models; creating data models that conform to existing standards and conventions; providing leadership and guidance with enterprise data strategies; revising data dictionary definitions, governance practices, and standards; and partnering with security architects to ensure compliance with data security and privacy mandates. Additional responsibilities include end-to end data lifecycle management activities, evaluating and recommending new and emerging data management and storage technologies and standards, and ensuring consistency between data management, enterprise storage and all other technical system components. This role encompasses all aspects of data management, conceptual, logical, and physical. The role is not tightly focused on the physical implementation.
- 5-7 years of experience with information technology programs and services,
- with demonstrated expertise in enterprise data management and related technologies.
- 5-7 years of data architect experience.
- Experience with ERwin Data Modeler V7 or a comparable data modeling tool.
- Experience working as a member of distributed data architecture teams.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodology and concepts.
- Understanding of information systems and data life-cycle management best practices and methodologies, formal systems engineering life cycle (SELC), and systems development life cycle (SDLC).
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), web services, enterprise data management, information security, applications development, and cloud-based architectures with federal clients.
- Experience with enterprise data management technologies, including database platforms, ETL tools, and SQL.
- Understanding of National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) standards and interfaces.
Experience with three or more of the following: Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Troux, Rochade, iGrafx, WebSphere, and Cognos
Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products, including Visio and Project
Good communication skills and customer relationship skills
Knowledge of configuration management and version control processes
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization; advanced education
- Understanding of two or more industry standard frameworks, including DAMA, DMBOK, or Zachman Framework
- FEAF, CMMI, COBIT, ITIL, SCRUM, CDMP, Six Sigma, etc. certifications preferred