Sample Job Description: Data Stewardship and Information Strategy Services Lead
Data Stewardship and Information Strategy Services Lead
This data stewardship and information strategy services (DSISS) position will work closely within the group software engineering and delivery practice. The DSISS lead has overall accountability for group's overall data and reporting posture by responsibly managing data assets, data lineage and data access, supporting sound data analysis, and rationalizing group's information strategy. This role requires focus on data strategy, execution and support for projects, programs, application enhancements and production fixes in the group disability and life space. Makes well-thought-out decisions on complex or ambiguous data issues and establishes the data stewardship and information management strategy and direction for group. Effectively communicates to individuals at various levels of the technical and business communities. Participates in hiring, coaching, and evaluation of performance for both direct and matrix staff.
- Responsible for data quality and data accuracy across all group delivery initiatives.
- Responsible for data analysis, data profiling, data modeling, and data mapping capabilities.
- Responsible for reviewing and governing data queries and DML.
- Accountable for the assessment, delivery, quality, accuracy, and tracking of any production data fixes.
- Accountable for the performance, quality, and alignment to requirements for all data query design and development.
- Accountable for the delivery of any IT developed reports (Hyperion, Cognos, etc.).
- Responsible for defining standards and best practices for data analysis, modeling, and queries.
- Responsible for understanding end-to-end data flows and identifying data dependencies in support of delivery, release, and change management.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of an enterprise data dictionary that is aligned to data assets and the business glossary for group responsible for the definition and maintenance of group's data landscape including overlays with the technology landscape, end-to-end data flows/transformations and data lineage.
- Responsible for rationalizing group's reporting posture through the definition and maintenance of a reporting strategy and roadmap.
- Partners with the data governance team to ensure solutions adhere to the organization’s data principles and guidelines.
- Owns group's data assets including reports, data warehouse, etc.
- Accountable for defining the performance tuning needs for all group data assets and managing the implementation of those requirements within the context of group initiatives as well as steady-state production.
- Partners with others in test data management and masking strategies and the creation of a reusable test data repository.
- Responsible for group's relationship with information management and the alignment of group's reporting roadmap with IM's roadmap.
- Responsible for governing data access for all group's data assets.
- Responsible for solving data related issues and communicating resolutions with other solution domains.
- Proven ability to quickly earn the trust of peers and key stakeholders; mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach; resolve conflict; deliver tough messages with grace; execute with limited information and ambiguity.
- Ability to navigate matrix organizations effectively.
- Results-oriented, diligent, and works with a sense of urgency. Assertive, responsible for his/her own work (self-directed), have a strong affinity for defining work in deliverables, and be willing to commit to deadlines.
- Possesses knowledge and expertise in data modeling and management techniques and strategies.
- Influential, focused and versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure.
- Ability to communicate at all levels with clarity, poise, maturity and precision both written and verbal.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills; balancing strategic alignment with technology roadmap and emerging industry trends with practical delivery.
- Technical expertise in data architecture principles and design aspects of various DBMS and reporting concepts.
- Solid understanding of PL-SQL, including tuning for performance.
- Solid understanding of key DBMS platforms like SQL Server, Oracle and DB2.
- Experience with data modeling and test data management tools.
- Five + years of experience leading data architecture or engineering function.
- Five + years of hands-on data experience, with demonstrated increase of responsibilities over time.