Sample Job Description: Information Analyst
Put your reporting and analysis skill set to work by cooperating with data services staff, key business stakeholders, and IT staff to support enterprise data management and service efforts.
As the information analyst, you will communicate and engage with business units to develop a strong understanding of their reporting, data, and product needs. You will work with various teams to define requirements for projects, identify data dependencies and relationships to develop logical and physical data models, create data flow and system activity diagrams, and write specifications for managing enterprise information. You will develop plans and materials to support user adoption, training, and customer service, working through direct and regular contact with users from regions, programs, and service units to provide regular insight and guidance in prioritizing enhancements for the data systems. You will also support technical project managers to ensure that all aspects of the information analysis and requirements gathering process are completed with the highest degree of accuracy and quality, which includes developing and socializing key project artifacts.
Additionally, you will:
- Serve as a subject matter expert (SME) in master data management, metadata management, and data governance operations.
- Support ad hoc data requests within the existing governance and security policies and best practices
- Implement rollout plans for data reporting tools, which involves training end users and helping secure the ongoing buy-in and use of the system.
- Develop key documentation, user, guides, and other necessary training materials.
- Support a broad base of users of the data and reporting platforms, ensuring relationships with customers and cross-team members are professional and meet management expectations.
- Coordinate change controls boards for the platform in support of the platform manager.
- Solve complex data-related problems using a variety of technical and analytical skills.
- More than five years of experience managing enterprise-wide data.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related course of study.
- Deep understanding of data modeling and data mapping.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Significant knowledge and experience in managing and executing data management initiatives.
- Understanding of business process modeling, data provisioning modeling, entity relationship modeling, and dimensional modeling.
- Experience in project management.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Experience with education-related data.
- Understanding of source-to-target documents, use case and activity diagrams, and use case specifications.
- Working knowledge of database management system (DBMS) client software, i.e. MS SQL, Oracle (TOAD), and MySQL.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, i.e. Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Mastery of data management concepts and best practices as well as an ability to become a SME in education data.
- Strong ability to explain advanced data concepts to both database developers and architects, non-technical end users, and senior executives.
- Ability to understand business needs and translate them into technical specifications.
- Expertise understanding and writing SQL.
- Experience developing requirements for business intelligence (BI), master data management, and functional data projects.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated high competency in balancing multiple projects.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Experience in process analysis and documentation.
Great Additional Skills
- Master of science or business administration is highly desirable
- Experience with Oracle database, Dataflux, ETL, and/or Cognos BI tools preferred.
- Experience with IBM Rational Suite tools, i.e. ReqPro, RSM, ClearQuest, and ClearCase is preferred.
- Experience with the Rational Unified Process (RUP) is preferred.