ICD-10-PCS: An Applied Approach
Authors: Lynn Kuehn, MS, RHIA, CCS-P, FAHIMA; Therese M. Jorwic, MPH, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, FAHIMA
Description: This comprehensive text, which uses the 2017 code set, is devoted to learning and mastering the process of building codes in ICD-10-PCS. All current coding professionals and students in academic programs must become and remain proficient in using this system for inpatient procedures.
The text begins with a detailed review of the structure and design of the ICD-10-PCS system, including a description of the code format and official 2017 ICD-10-PCS Coding Guidelines. A thorough description of coding concepts that are unique to ICD-10-PCS is included, as well as a systematic review of the root operations. Each of the body systems from the main section of ICD-10-PCS, Medical and Surgical, are methodically examined, with an in-depth review of the function and anatomy of the system, along with the root operations, body parts, approaches, devices and qualifiers that are used in each body system. This same process is used in reviewing all other sections.
• New in-depth discussion of the code-building process
• Expanded explanation of root operations and approaches in text and rationales
• Enhanced cardiology coverage
• Code Building Exercises guide the reader through the process of evaluating an operative report by providing thought-provoking questions along with complete in-text answers and rationales
• Updated with the 2017 code set changes and coding guidelines for ICD-10-PCS
• Online ancillaries include anatomy quiz worksheets, coding puzzles, and coding resources
• Annotated reports, decision trees, short-statement coding, and capstone exercises enhance learning
• Select answers with rationales included in appendix B
Kuehn, Lynn; Jorwic, Therese M.
" ICD-10-PCS: An Applied Approach".
Chicago: American Health Information Management Association, (2016).